Travel Advice

Going on Holiday?

Here’s everything you need to know to make sure you can have a safe trip.

Consult Online

Visit our online consultation portal to get advice about travelling abroad and to arrange for an appointment to meet with one of our nurses.

Please contact the surgery and submit the form at least 10 weeks before travelling. If vaccinations are required they should be administered 6-8 weeks before travel so you are fully vaccinated before you leave to your destination.

Alternatively, read below for some key information.

Holiday vaccinations

When travelling abroad please contact the surgery and submit the form at least 10 weeks before travelling. If vaccinations are required, they should be administered 6-8 weeks before travel, so you are fully vaccinated before you leave to your destination.

The following places are able to offer travel Advice and vaccinations:

Ivybridge Travel Vaccinations & Private GP | CityDoc

Travel vaccinations & health advice service – Boots

We advise you to attend an appointment at least six weeks before you travel, as some vaccinations may not give you full protection until some time after you’ve had them or you will need more than one dose.

The following vaccines are available on NHS prescriptions:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Typhoid
  • Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio

Other vaccinations may be necessary for more exotic or unusual destinations, complex travel itineraries, or long stay vacations and these will be available from private travel clinics – with a charge.

More advice about foreign travel is available on the NHS website and on the Foreign Office website.

Travel insurance

Medical emergencies abroad can be costly to the traveller so it is advisable to explore arranging appropriate cover.

You can claim back most of your treatment and medication costs if you fall ill or have an accident in Europe as long as you carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on October 31, 2019, your access to healthcare when visiting an EU country is likely to change. If you are planning to visit on or after October 31, 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance so you can get the healthcare treatment you need, just as you would if visiting a non-EU country. If you are using an EHIC, this will still be valid until October 31, 2019.

Holiday medication

If you need regular medication for a stable long-term health condition, your GP can prescribe a maximum supply of three months.

If you’re taking a course of medication that will finish during your holiday, then get advice from your pharmacist or your GP. They may be able to give you a repeat prescription.

However, this will depend on, for example:

  • how long your GP thinks you’ll continue to need your medication
  • how often your treatment needs to be reviewed.

Will my GP prescribe medication in case I’m ill when I’m away?

Talk to your GP about this. They will only give you an NHS prescription if they think that you need the medication. They don’t have to give you an NHS prescription just because you think you should have the medication.

Some GPs will provide private prescriptions if they agree that you should take medication in case you’re ill while you’re away. You will have to pay for a private prescription.

Travel abroad for more than three months

If you’re going abroad for more than three months, your GP may prescribe medication to last until you can make arrangements to get it at your destination. This might be by:

    • Registering with a doctor in the country you’re visiting
    • Buying the medication from a pharmacist while you’re away

If you’re travelling outside the EU, before you go, check with your GP whether you can get your medication in the countries you’re travelling to. You can also contact each country’s embassy or high commission for advice.

Check what medication you can take

Before you travel find out if there are any restrictions on taking your medicine in and out of:

    • The UK
    • The country you’re visiting

Some medicines available over the counter in the UK may be controlled in other countries.

When you return

If you’re given any medication while you’re away, try to find out if it’s legal to bring it back into the UK. If you’re in any doubt, declare it at customs when you come back.